Thursday, November 19, 2009

Creativity and Origniality

Kids have always been encouraged to show their creativity and ingenuity. We are encouraged to be original in our thinking, or "outside the box" as some people might say. There are even classes devoted to being expressing your creativity: music and art, to name a few. But they are always the ones getting cut from the budget first if a school is running out of funds. How do we expect our students to be creative and inventive if we do not allow them to do it in the class by keeping more of the narrow focused classes like math and science that have specific equations to find the right answer. Although a writing class is usually left after cuts, I think that is not enough to allow a child to be creative. That is why it is good to have extra-curriculars to be able to help a kid feel creative. I have always been terrible at math, but pretty good at music, and I think this is because I don't have a set of laws and theories to follow, I can just go wherever the music takes me, as corny as that sounds. And if it weren't for my music being my creative outlet I don't think I could have concentrated in the more instructional classes such as math and science.

No comments:

Post a Comment